Saturday 27 December 2014

"It's all in the tip" and other sage advice

“It’s all in the tip” and other sage advice

My first oboe teacher, Frank Morphy, taught me how to make reeds about 40 years ago. I should say, he began to teach me, because my learning since then has never stopped. For many years, I looked to make the perfect reed, but have come to know that what I really want is a reed that allows my embouchure to work. It needs to be stable, in-tune and have good response. The definition of good can change depending on the style of music or even the challenges of a particular piece on a program. Recently, my search has been for tests that help to identify a reed as good and tips that help to make reed making more successful. My first reed teacher told me that John DeLancie had a sign over his desk, "It's all in the tip" - a reminder not to take too much cane out of the heart or the back before the reed is finished. As I begin this blog, I also hope that it's all in the tip (and test), and plan to assemble a collection that will grow and be refined as I share with others.


No comments:

Post a Comment